Friday, December 23, 2022

Painting Hobbies Challenge

 I wasn’t able to get into the official Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge  this year, but I’m going to give it a go. 

This year my goal will be about 300-400 points following the guidelines given in the link above. 

Here’s my plan:

~350 points target

The initial list of minis:
40mm
1 earth elemental    7
1 werewolf    7

25mm
4 WWII German grenadiers 20
2 Union Generals Mounted 30
3 Confederate Generals Mounted 30
8 Confederate Cavalry 80
1 Union Cannon 4 Crew 10
16 Confederate Infantry 80
16 Union Infantry 80

15mm
1 German half track 8
6 German grenadiers 12

Of course I’ve immediately deviated from the plan. Last week I picked up an inexpensive copy of the  Cruel Seas starter set. It represents the small ship actions that took place in WWII and has an interesting but easy set of rules and just as easy to paint miniatures. 

The set comes with a painting guide for the 6 Royal Navy and 4 Kriegsmarine ships. This is great because it took some of the guesswork out of choosing colours. I didn’t have all the colours indicated in the guide but I used online paint  conversion websites to match colours. I think it worked out pretty well. 

My first entry for the painting challenge are these 3 Vosper II MTBs in 6mm.

3 Vosper II MTBs for Cruel Seas

I used 3 different grey paints for the hull and superstructure: Citadel (GW) Mechanicum Standard Grey, Army painter (AP) Ash Grey, and AP Uniform Grey. A wash of GW Nuln Oil and a highlight of Ash Grey are necessary to define the boundaries between different parts of each ship. I then picked out the details such as the guns, ropes, and life preservers in whatever AP paints I had to hand. The windows are GW Talasar Blue of GW Corax White. The contrast paint gives it an effect I’ve found difficult to free hand. 

Prior to the 21st I completed the 3 Vosper I MTBs. These ones do not count towards the challenge. Here they are altogether.

6 points for the first day. I’ll need to complete 3 points per day to meet my goal for March 20th, 2023. 

Next in the queue are 4 e-boats and all the torpedo markers from the start set.



No comments: